I am meeting with my wedding clients this afternoon to conclude our arrangement.
These are the paintings I am taking with me as part of the offer:
All of these are 560×380 mm on Arches 300gm watercolour paper.
I am enjoying working on this subject and may do one or two more.
What do you think?
Here are two paintings I have started from the photos I took during the wedding rehearsal and from photos from the wedding. Now it is late and I will see how they look tomorrow.
and here is another
Poor old Phillip is leaning over a little here -
there is still some to be done.
Here is how they look a day later:
this is about done I think – I will see tomorrow
The reds are more saturated in the photo than in the painting – lets see how it looks in the morning.
I spent the morning preparing for the wedding project and arrived in the reserve will all my stuff packed up neatly. And just as well – the forest glade had been transformed with chairs, flowers and a bower. And the position I chose no longer worked so I moved back a little and other side a tree. When I set up I had a Metalasia (Metalasia muricata) bush prickling my back – but OK. I started the painting about an hour and half before the ceremony and after the first wash help attach the last few rows of cushions to chairs – and then the guests began to arrive. I adopted my “focus on the job at hand” attitude and people came in and settled down.
It was a beautiful wedding, short and simple. too short to finish but I stayed for another hour, completing the painting. It started raining and I escaped under a ‘Bedouin tent’ where they had signed the register. Here is what I gave them:
This is on Arches 300gm Rough 570x780mm (the 600gm sheet was Fabriano rough and I was not keen to take chances).
I suggested they crop the paint to something like this:
Here is a photo taken by the wedding photographer, jac kritzinger, of me painting:
I have to get a smaller palette! Actually I was concerned about being able to mix large washes fast as I was working full size. An interesting unexpected was that I have never painted in a tie before and had to be careful not to get my tie wet in my water-jar.
Here are some photos taken by the groom’s sister:
I have been asked to do a watercolour painting of a wedding. Cool project hey? I have spent the afternoon up at Helderberg Reserve with Phil and Lara and family, practicing the scene. This is Phil talking to his father, who will be marrying them, in the spot where they will hold the ceremony.
I did this painting and took some photos to prepare for Saturday:
This is 22×30 inches which is a lot of paint to put down. That is a little sketch of the mountain and trees at the bottom. I have to think quite carefully about the strategy for the painting.
I will have a little more time on Saturday to do the whole painting. And I have lovely sheet of Arches 600gm Cold Press waiting for just this occasion. It will be interesting painting through a service – but wait – that is what I have been practicing (o: